THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF HYDROTHERAPY
Did you know that the term “spa” originates from the Latin “salus per aqua”, which means “health through water”? Spas were popular in ancient Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Middle Eastern cultures, and have experienced resurgence in popularity over the last decade or so.
What many people don’t realise, is that spa treatments are not designed as lavish luxuries for the idle and moneyed – they are actually therapies that contribute to general health and wellbeing – and are even curative for certain ailments.
Since hydrotherapy means “health through water”, it stands to reason that it involves the use of water for soothing pains and treating diseases. It is particularly effective for the treatment of arthritis, burns, rheumatic diseases, musculoskeletal disorders, spinal cord injuries and stroke patients. It is also effective for improving circulation and as a tonic for the central nervous system.
WE OFFER MODERN-DAY HYDROTHERAPY TREATMENTS, INCLUDING:
- The relaxing benefits of the Sensation shower, which has a variety of water pressure and heat settings which helps to improve circulation, loosen tight muscles, and soothe away tension.
- Kneipp therapy which improves circulation through the application of alternating heat and cold to the feet.
- Sauna (dry heat) with its various health advantages, including relief from rheumatic pain, and reduction of the symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis and lifestyle related diseases such as diabetes, arteriosclerosis, obesity, hypertension and smoking-induced symptoms. The sweating caused by the heat helps the body to eliminate toxins through the skin.
- Caldarium (steam room) is similar to a sauna, but instead of dry heat, the room is made warm and humid by use of a heater and steam. The effect is that the steam opens the pores of the skin, allowing for the elimination of toxins through sweating; while the metabolism is increased, and the heart rate is elevated.
- Spending time in a Jacuzzi helps to ease muscle pain and spasms, reduce stress, improve circulation, and leave you energised and invigorated.
- A Vichy shower is a multi-head shower suspended over a shallow wet bed. Large quantities of water run over the patron and drain away. The experience is both soothing and relaxing.
The benefits of the various hydrotherapy modalities are increased through frequent repetition. We offer, among other treatments, the Amani Hydro Journey and Amani Journey & Rasul, both of which include extensive hydro treatments as well as full-body exfoliation, the application of therapeutic “mud” and moisturising (depending on which treatment you choose).